Treeton Local History Group

We know our place

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Notice
  • EU e-Privacy Directive (Cookie Law)

    This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device. To view our Privacy Policy follow the link from the main menu.     

Treeton as a Pit Village

E-mail Print PDF

Treeton Colliery was founded on 13th October 1875, when the first sod was ceremonially dug by a Mrs Jaffray, wife of one of the directors of the colliery company, Rother Vale Collieries Ltd.  This act brought to an end several hundred years of rural life as the mine became the centre of a much-enlarged village, although several of the working farms continued in operation well into the 20th century and two have survived into the 21st.

In 1876 the shaft was sunk to the High Hazels seam at a depth of 711 feet (216 m). It reached the Barnsley seam in 1877 at a depth of 999 feet (304 m), but there was then a hiatus as the company suspended work for more than three years in November 1878 due to poor demand and a lack of capital funds.  Work resumed in March 1882, and between 1881 and 1905 the owners built 400 new homes for their new workforce, vastly expanding the village, the population of which exploded in a period of two decades:

1801     Pop.     312    (aaprox., of a total of 628 for the whole 'parish' which included Ulley and Brampton-en-le-Morthen).

1871     Pop.     383

1901     Pop.  2,450

The new homes were built mainly on Mill Lane, Bole Hill Lane (now Well Lane) and at Bole Hill itself (now demolished, although their are still residents of the village who lived in the miners cottages when they were younger).  T'he colliery deputies were housed in the row of six larger terraced houses on Wood Lane still known as the 'Big Six'.

 In 1879 Mr F J Jones was appointed manager of the collieries at Fence, Orgreave and Treeton.   In 1884 he became Managing Director of  Rother Vale Collieries, and proved very succesful in this position, later becoming company Chairman. He took up residence at Treeton Grange in 1893. 

Later he served twice as President of the Mining Association of Great Britain, represented the colliery owners in their talks with the workforce during the First World War, and was awarded a Baronetcy in 1919.  He died Sir Frederick in May 23rd 1936, the same year that the mine hit the Swallow Wood seam at a depth of 1261 feet (384 m).

A comprehensive history of the Colliery was written by Mr Tom Rossington on the occasion of its centenary in 1975, and a few copies of the booklet, published in 1976 by RMBC Libraries, are still extant.

 Following the defeat of the Miners in the strike of 1984-5, the colliery was closed on 7th December 1990.

 

Last Updated on Tuesday, 23 February 2010 21:37  
Banner

Events Calendar

<<  December 2017  >>
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
      1  2  3
  4  5  6  7  8  910
111213151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Site last updated

Saturday 30 September 2017, 20:48

Website created thanks to funding from

    South Yorks Community Foundation logo  grassroots grants logo  awards for all logo