Treeton Local History Group

We know our place

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Notice
  • EU e-Privacy Directive (Cookie Law)

    This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device. To view our Privacy Policy follow the link from the main menu.     

Treeton and the Civil War

E-mail Print PDF

Treeton played an interesting role in the Civil War, in its own small way.  Rotherham, like much of what is now South Yorkshire, was strongly sympathetic to the Parliamentary cause, and was a major crossing point for the river Don, with the result that it became a target for the Royalists. The town itself was attacked twice, bullet holes from the period still being visible in the walls of the Chapel of Our Lady of Rotherham on the bridge today.

Treeton was the location of a smaller political dispute of its own, in the form of the conflict between the local farmer and Parliamentarian Nicholas Ardron and its Royalist Rector Sherland (or Shorland) Adams (1642-1664), who was also Rector of Eyam in Derbyshire.   Adams' induction as Rector of Treeton was on 13th June 1642 and the Civil War started barely two months later, on the 22nd of August.   To quote Tom Rossington, from the collation of his historical notes compiled and edited by Hedley Frost in 'Gleanings and Recollections of Old Treeton',

'As the tides of war ebbed and flowed around the village, he never lost the opportunity to support the royalist cause either from the pulpit, or materially'

'The Ploughman's Vindication' a pamphlet published by Ardron attacking Adams for 'False reports against [Ardron]...' and for his sermons against the Parliament, is a fascinating example of the kind of political document that a private individual might publish at his time, and the only known surviving original copy is now in the British Museum. The titlepage of the pamphlet is reproduced below.

 The Pamphlet's titlepage

Adams was removed from his livings at both Treeton and Eyam by a convocation of ministers in 1644, retiring to his own estate at Woodlathes near Conisborough, but survived to see the restoration of the monarchy under Charles II in 1660 and was reinstated as Rector, dying on 11th April 1664. He was buried in the chancel of St Helen's church, where his memorial stone can still be seen just below the altar rail.

Last Updated on Monday, 22 February 2010 22:43  
Banner

Events Calendar

<<  December 2017  >>
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
      1  2  3
  4  5  6  7  8  910
111213151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Site last updated

Saturday 30 September 2017, 20:48

Website created thanks to funding from

    South Yorks Community Foundation logo  grassroots grants logo  awards for all logo