Treeton Local History Group

We know our place

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Notice
  • EU e-Privacy Directive (Cookie Law)

    This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device. To view our Privacy Policy follow the link from the main menu.     

Medieval Treeton

E-mail Print PDF
In Norman times the parish of Treeton included the townships of Ulley and Brampton-en-le-Morthen, as well as 400 acres of detached land in Wales known as Waleswood, which belonged to the Lords of the manor of Treeton. It was not until the middle of the 19th century that this situation changed, when a church was built at Ulley to serve the south-eastern portion of the former parish, leaving Treeton more or less within its modern boundaries.

After Richard de Sudeval who is named in the Doemsday book, the Manor was later held by the Paynels and the Lutterels, in whose name it was held by the Lovetots and Furnivals.  William de Lovetot, second Lord of Hallamshire held the manor at or about 1140 AD and it then passed to Gerald de Furnival about 1194 AD on his marriage to William's daughter and heir, Maud de Lovetot.

Gerald (or a Gerald) was Lord of the Manor at the time of Magna Carta in 1215, and died at Jerusalem in 1219.

The Furnivals were certainly sole lords by 1298, letting the Manor in turn to the Horberys, Bernaks and Pierrepoints, Robert de Pierrepoint appearing as lord of the manor of Treeton in a charter of around 1326 AD.

John de Vescy, Gervis de Bernak and John de Bosville, all of notable families from the parish, took part in the burning of Sheffield castle in 1265/6 during the Barons revolt under Sir Simon de Montfort against Henry III.

By 1410 John Talbot, first Earl of Shrewbury held the manor, and in 1428 the freeholders had the pleasure of paying towards his ransom from the French, where he had captained the English army in the Hundred Years War. His two sons (the second Earl and Sir Christopher Talbot) both died at the Battle of Northampton on July 10th 1460, during the Wars of the Roses. Sir Christopher lived at Treeton, as is attested in the Clause Rolls of Henry VI.  The Shrewsbury's continued to hold the land at least up to the latter half of the 16th century.

The first volume of John Fisher's history of Treeton records the list of Treeton residents who were subject to the Poll Tax of 1378 as recorded in the Poll Tax Roll of the time, a total of eighty-eight persons, numbering amongst them

'Johannes de Clayton & Alicia'
'Magota de Wales'
'Thos Parsonman and Alicia'
'Cecilia Gibwyf'
'Johannes Parson servant'
'Willelmus Dewy and Christiana'
'Johannes del Halle'
'Johannes atte Halle'
'Nicholaus Northwell'
and
'Magota ye Woman'
 
Last Updated on Thursday, 09 July 2009 21:04  
Banner

Events Calendar

<<  December 2017  >>
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
      1  2  3
  4  5  6  7  8  910
111213151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Site last updated

Saturday 30 September 2017, 20:48

Website created thanks to funding from

    South Yorks Community Foundation logo  grassroots grants logo  awards for all logo