Treeton Local History Group

We know our place

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Notice
  • EU e-Privacy Directive (Cookie Law)

    This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device. To view our Privacy Policy follow the link from the main menu.     

Prehistory

E-mail Print PDF

This article is about the prehistory of Treeton and its immediate environs.   Set on the north-western end of a low ridge overlooking the wetlands of a sharp bend in the river Rother, three miles from its confluence with the river Don, Treeton is in a commanding location and shows evidence even today of human activity as far back as the mesolithic (middle stone age) period, dating to around 7,500 to 4,000 BC. This takes the form of small worked flint tools (microliths) and the cores from which they were struck, which can be turned up in the local fields.

Many of these finds came from the area of Hail Mary Hill, which was the subject of Archaeological survey by J Radley and P Mellor of  the Hunter Archaeological Society in 1952 which mapped the distribution of the flints found but didn't reveal any evidence of hearths or other signs of domestic occupation.  A more recent survey carried out by the Archaeological Research and Consultancy at the University of Sheffield (ARCUS) in 1996 used test pitting to assess erosion to the known Mesolithic site. Dry sieving recovered 31flint and chert tools, which are now held by Rotherham Museums.

A Neolithic new stone age, (around 4,000 to 2,500 BC) polished stone axe was found in April 1954 on the surface of Gregory Hill Field, Spa House, by Mr. Snook of Rudstone. This axe is now in Rotherham Museum.  A second Neolithic axe, this time of polished flint, was found ten years later in 1964 by one P. Abrahams of Swindon, in a ploughed field by Long Lane, who kept his find. The approximate locations of the two finds (the 1964 find being the more northerly) are shown on the map below.

 map of find spots

There was a further Archaeological excavation in 1954 at Spa Farm, this time investigating the remains of a Roman Road which crosses the parish of Treeton, linking the known Roman site at Brough in the Hope Valley in Derbyshire with the Roman port at Littleborough on the river Trent. Probably for the export of lead mined in the Peak District.  This road runs from the southern side of Guilthwaite Hall, through the grounds of Spa House, to join the bridleway on Little Broad Hill and then down to the location of an old ford just downstream from the modern bridge at Catcliffe.

When excavated the roadway was found to be about 24 feet (7.3m) wide, with two 5 ft (1.5m) wide walkways on either side, with a drainage culvert under the southern side.

 

 

 

 

 

Last Updated on Friday, 19 February 2010 20:30  
Banner

Events Calendar

<<  December 2017  >>
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
      1  2  3
  4  5  6  7  8  910
111213151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Site last updated

Saturday 30 September 2017, 20:48

Website created thanks to funding from

    South Yorks Community Foundation logo  grassroots grants logo  awards for all logo